Saturday, September 26, 2009

Fantasy Friday

It's Friday boys and girls. You know what that means...fantasy and game predictions. Only two more days til Sunday! God, football is my life. It should be another interesting week with a lot of big games on tap. By the end of this week we should at least be able to separate the elite teams from the ordinary ones. The 2-0 surprises, 49ers, Jets, Saints and Broncos get a chance to prove if they're ready to take the next step. Then there's the teams trying to avoid the 0-3 disaster start: The Titans, Panthers, Dolphins and Jaguars are in dire need of a win or their seasons are likely over.


But the team that needs a strong performance more than any other team is the Washington Redskins. I know you're probably thinking "What do they have to worry about? They're playing the Lions!" But this game could not only determine the Skins fate this season, but future seasons as well. All the talk around D.C. is about head coach Jim Zorn, whose job may be in jeopardy after two consecutive lackluster offensive performances to start the season. The Skins are being called by 106.7 The Fan radio personality Mike Wise as the Washington Redzones for their inability to score touchdowns when they get inside the 20. The Skins have only one offensive TD, which came in garbage time against the Giants. Zorn's questionable play calling has been grilled by everybody, including the ancient Sonny Jurgensen who during an on-air interview with Zorn, ripped him for calling a halfback pass on 3rd and goal.  When Jurgensen said he would've called a timeout before running that play, Zorn lashed out saying he would've benched the hall-of-famer. I love that response...putting the old man in his place...the most fire I've seen from him since landing the head coach position. Don't get me started on Jurgensen. I can't stand that geriatric idiot. I'm going to dedicate an entire post to criticizing him in the near future.

Back to Zorn, the talk of the town is that he's hosed with a loss to Detroit or maybe even another ugly win. Daniel Snyder's leash with head coaches is about as short as a string of dental floss. A loss to the laughingstock of the league is likely to cause the leash to rip. I think it's way too soon to get rid of Zorn. In my mind that offense has very little talent and no playmakers. Clinton Portis isn't getting enough carries and Santana Moss just isn't that effective anymore. But the Washington area is very demanding of it's Skins and so is the trigger-happy Snyder. The scary thing is that the Lions have improved. They were leading the Vikings for a good part of last week's game and they are definitely hungry. A win is coming soon for them and if it's next week...we might see the Skins implode before our eyes.

Ok, lets get to some fantasy. We'll start out with the guys I expect to have down performances.

1. Brandon Marshall WR Broncos
I wouldn't start the diva if I were you. Marshall only has 7 catches thus far and hasn't gotten in any rhythm with Kyle Orton. He also missed practice on Wednesday with an illness (maybe another attempt to renegotiate his contract?) although he's listed as probable. Lastly and most importantly, Marshall will be facing the best corner in the league, Nnamdi Asomugha.


2. Thomas Jones RB Jets
I don't advise you to start running backs who are facing the Titans defense even though they're 0-2. No exception here. Thomas Jones has looked subpar except for some late runs in garbage time against the Texans in week one. The Titans are going to make sure to stack the box and make Mark Sanchez beat him.

3. Joseph Addai RB Colts
Addai has been killing me with his lack of production in fantasy. Why did I have to be on a slow computer that froze during the draft? He was autopicked for me and probably the reason why I lost in one of my leagues. Against the Cardinals he will not be used much as it will be a Manning-Warner showdown in the desert. What's even worse for Addai is that Donald Brown played very well last week...scoring a touchdown and caught some balls out of the backfield.

4. Byron Leftwich QB Buccaneers
Everyone that jumping on the Leftwich bandwagon better hold on for at least a week. I don't foresee him putting up the same numbers against the Giants D this week. I am surprised that he's doing as well as he has without Antonio Bryant being effective. But expect Leftwich to have some costly turnovers this week.

5. Atlanta Defense
The Falcons defense has played surprisingly well so far, prompting many to pick them up in fantasy. However this week I like the Pats offense to rebound at home. And if Welker is back and somewhat effective, I really like the Pats to move the ball well on the Falcons defense.

Get these guys in your lineup ASAP!


1. Mario Manningham/ Steve Smith WRs Giants
I told you to forget about Domenik Hixon. These two got silly against a Dallas secondary that's begging for mercy. Their reward: a date with the Bucs defense who give up more big plays and are currently in the process of trying to bribe Monty Kiffin to come back. Manningham is averaging 16 yds/rec...a number that I think will increase after this matchup. I don't think they'll get 10 catches each like last week but I'd expect at least a combined 180 yds and 2 TDs.

2. Kevin Kolb QB Eagles
Everyone seems to be looking at Kolb's three picks against the Saints and forgetting that he threw for 390 yds last week. No, neither Jeff Garcia or Michael Vick should be starting despite what some clowns think. Kolb draws another favorable matchup at home against Kansas City. I like him to put up similar numbers to last week with less interceptions.

3. Greg Jennings WR Packers
I know a lot of Jennings owners were freaking out when they saw the goose egg that Jennings put up last week but there's no reason to panic. The best cure for an ailing offensive performance is getting the Rams the next week. Aaron Rodgers and Co. should be playing angry after the surprising loss to the Bengals and put up some big numbers this week.

4. Felix Jones RB Cowboys

I seriously don't understand why Jones doesn't get the ball more. He's a playmaker with some serious wheels. I think he's the perfect compliment to Marion Barber and his punishing style of running. For some reason the Cowboys are taking carries away from Jones and giving them to Tashard Choice. This week Barber is out so it's just Jones and Choice...and a chance for Felix to showcase his talent against a Carolina defense that's given up 336 yards on the ground in two games.

5. Pierre Garcon WR Colts
This is my sleeper pick of the week. With Anthony Gonzalez still out, Garcon is the #2 receiver. He had the big touchdown grab in the Monday night win over the Dolphins. Manning got all the credit but Garcon made that play...he adjusted to a low throw on the WR screen and then smartly cut back to the middle of the field where his blockers were. Reggie Wayne hasn't seen single coverage all year so there should be some openings for Garcon against Arizona.

Picks:
Titans over Jets:
  This is an absolute must win for Tennessee and they know it. Expect the defense to put a lot of pressure on Sanchez and try to make him look like a rookie for a change. I don't like betting against the Jets with the way they've made me pay the last two weeks with surprising victories. But I think desperation will prevail over a possibly complacent and satisfied Jets team.

Colts over Cardinals:
I'm not convinced that the Cardinals have righted the ship after one win over the struggling Jags. This game will be a serious test for them. The over/under on total passing yards for the two teams is probably 1000. I like Peyton Manning to come up with another game-winning drive on primetime television to take this one.

Patriots over Falcons:
This is such a tough one to pick but I'm not gonna take the easy route and pick bunnies on this blog. The Pats have always found ways to rebound from disappointing losses, even though I don't think they are the Pats of old. Brady has gotta get it going at some point. It should be interesting to see Matty Ice Ryan perform in a homecoming in New England. With this pick I'm taking using my head over my heart and taking the Pats. But I really hope I'm wrong...I love this young Falcons team and obviously can't stand the Pats.

Saints over Bills:
Nobody can stop Drew Brees right now. I don't expect that to change in Buffalo. Expect another shootout, which is pretty much every game the Saints are involved in. I do think Buffalo will be pose the stiffest challenge the Saints have faced thus far. And if this game were being played in December I'd probably go the other way. But the weather is still warm enough in Buffalo for Brees to air out all day. Saints 3-0

Dallas over Carolina
If you are betting with spreads you gotta take the Panthers in this one getting nine points. I know it seems like the Panthers are horrible but let's keep in mind that they've played the Eagles and Falcons to start the season. Carolina might not be that bad but I don't see them overcoming a Cowboy team that wants to impress at their new stadium. They'll get a second chance in primetime to get their first win there. I wonder if Jerry Jones paid somebody off to get his first two home games at the new arena played at night. In another close game, I like the Cowboys to be on the other side and come up with a W.

You're probably wondering why I didn't pick the Niners-Vikings game, which shockingly is the only matchup between undefeated teams. I really don't know what to expect in this one. I know the Niners aren't a fluke but I'm not sure if they're ready to win another big one on the road. It's not going to be easy for Frank Gore to run on this behemoth-stacked defensive line.AP isn't going to have an easy defense to run against either I would pick the under for total points with these two defenses. Hopefully the Niners will ruin Favre's home debut.

No comments:

Post a Comment