Tuesday, October 20, 2009

The Scum Smells Better Everywhere but in Washington

Hey Guys, I know it's been awhile since I last made a post but I've been super busy. I am now blogging for a new website and I urge you all to check it out: http://compughterratingsnfl.blogspot.com/. I know I didn't make any predictions for this past Sunday's games but I don't think you would've wanted to see them anyway after another chaotic week in the NFL. Yesterday was a tough day for me...not only was I deprived of seeing the 49ers play but both of my fantasy teams lost and my picks stunk more than Albert Haynesworth's jock strap. Yea, imagine that. I somehow found a way to lose in both my fantasy leagues despite having Brady on one team and Brees on the other. You're probably wondering how that's possible. Well in one league I had five players, Santana Moss, Kellen Winslow, TJ Houshmandzadeh, Baltimore defense and John Carney combine for a grand total of 23 points. In the other league I was facing Tom Brady. Go figure.

The most surpising thing in Week 6 was the improved play of the scum of the league. The Raiders somehow beat the Eagles and held them to less points than the Phillies put up later that night. The Bills beat Rex Ryan's suddenly free-falling Jets. I knew Mark Sanchez was going to have a wake up call but I sure didn't think it would come against the Bills at home. The Buccaneers and Rams both were extremely competitive in their losses and you can say both should've won. The Chiefs picked up their first win, but I can't say it's because they played better...they didn't even score a touchdown. And this leaves me with the mucus that grows on the scum of the league...the Washington Redskins.

Besides the Tennessee Titans (I'll leave them alone this week they dealt with enough embarrassment on the field), there is no team more disappointing than the Skins. I know I've spent a lot of time ripping the Skins on this blog but it's so easy and so fun that I just can't resist myself. The Skins went through another game without a TD, scoring just six points on a Chiefs defense that just gave up 250 yards to Miles Austin. Who? I've blamed the coaching and I've blamed the management and both are worthy of the criticism. But this game is won and lost on the field and frankly the Redskins' players just aren't that talented.



Let's take a closer look. Jason Campbell is an average NFL quarterback, nothing more, nothing less. He can't carry this offense by himself and especially not with his offensive line being as banged up as it is. I actually feel sorry for the guy. He's dealt with immense criticism from a very demanding town. Anything that goes wrong with the offense is instantly his fault. He's had to deal with learning a million different offenses since he's been in the league. He had to deal with Jim Zorn and staff looking to replace him with Jay Cutler of Mark Sanchez this past offseason. He had to answer questions from the media about how this made him feel...something that he handled perfectly and I respect him for the way he handled that. He even had to deal with ridiculous claims that Colt Brennan or Chase Daniel, both of whom have never started an NFL game, should start over him. Now he's almost certainly out of Washington after this season because his contract is expiring. But Campbell simply isn't that good. He has never, ever in his career made a play that makes you stare in amazement. He's ordinary on most days and every once in awhile, he's bad. He will never win a championship because he isn't a leader and I don't think his teammates believe in him when they look into his eyes with that insecure expression. I expect him to be a journeyman backup for the rest of his career. Poor Jason.

The rest of the offense is aging, to say the least. Clinton Portis and Santana Moss, once the stars of this offense are clearly past their primes. Portis will be lucky to find a job next year. Moss is a decent number two or number three wideout in this league. But he can no longer carry the load as an offense's go-to target. The guys that were supposed to ease his load and make an easy transition, Malcolm Kelly and Devin Thomas, are downright pathetic. That can be blamed on Redskin talent evaluators who missed out on plenty of successful receivers in the 2008 draft including names like Desean Jackson, Eddie Royal, and Mario Manningham. The only pro bowl caliber player is Chris Cooley and even that's stretching it.


The defense isn't a bad unit but they still play like a gang of individuals with no sense of teamwork or unity. There are too many big-name, egotistical players including Deangelo Hall and Albert Haynesworth. Haynesworth is the biggest waste of money in the history of the NFL. The man is fat, out of shape and gives up on the team. There's no place for that in the league. The numbers don't look bad for the Skins defense but that's just because they haven't faced any decent offenses (with the exception of the Giants). Expect this D to get manhandled against the explosive offenses they have left on their schedule.

I really think it's time to blow the whole thing up. And I mean nuke it. If I were a Skins fan, and thank God I'm not, I would hope to see around 75% of the current team gone. Daniel Snyder has always been quick to change things. Well, this is the time no one would blame him if he made some brash personnel adjustments. These adjustments should start at the top with the firing of GM Vinny Cerrato who decided to hire Zorn as head coach over former defensive coordinator Gregg Williams. Look at the Saints' defense (ran by Williams now) this year and tell me Cerrato made the right decision. If you say yes I'll punch you in your face. Zorn is obviously out. It should've been today, hell it probably should've been a week or two ago. He's already had the play-calling stripped from him and given to the bingo-caller Sherman Lewis so he's useless now. I guess Snyder will wait until the bye week to fire him so the new coach has time to adjust (God I wouldn't wanna be that guy). For the Skins sake it sounds crazy but it really would be better for the team if they lose to Philly on Monday night. That way Snyder has no reason whatsoever to keep Zorn and this saga can finally end. All I can say to Snyder is rebuild and rebuild now or you'll wind up turning this franchise into the next Lions or Browns.



Let's me continue grilling people with my 5 clowns of the week.
5. The Bears Redzone Offense
You can read in my blog post on http://compughterratingsnfl.blogspot.com/ about how important it is to have a good redzone offense. The Bears should've beat the Falcons but dumb mistakes inside the 20 cost them the game. A Jay Cutler interception ended at the ATL 12 yard line ended the Bears first drive. A fumble on the goal line by Matt Forte blew another opportunity. And on the final drive of the game there were three costly penalties, including a false start by veteran Orlando Pace on 4th and 1, that killed the Bears. Performance in the redzone separates good teams from great ones.



4. The Eagles
How in the world do you let the Raiders beat you? Andy Reid...you were outcoached by Tom Cable. Tom Cable! He looks like you 15 years ago with a little bit of roid rage. No way you should let him beat you though. Donovan McNabb was outperformed by Jamarcus Russell. This is a travesty! However, for the Eagles this pathetic of a loss came at about the best time possible...the Phillies are winning and they play the Skins next week. So the Philly media may take it easy on you.

3.  Tennessee Defense
I know I said I wouldn't embarrass them but come on, it's just irresistible. Everyone says Tom Brady is back but maybe the Titans are just that bad. Nonetheless it's looking like Jeff Fisher should be gone by the end of the year.

2. Steven Hauschka K Baltimore Ravens
I wonder how many times Hauschka threw up in the locker room after missing that 44 yard field goal. Not only did this cost the Ravens the game, it cost them a chance to deliver the Vikings their first loss, it cost them a chance to grab a tie for first in the division with the Bengals and Steelers, it cost Joe Flacco a lot of deserved recognition for a remarkable comeback, and worst of all, we have to hear about "Brett Favre Magic" for another week. Ugh!



1. Dante Wesley DB Carolina Panthers
Dante Wesley gets the Bozo nose for being the clown of the week. There was no excuse for what Wesley did on the football field Sunday, recklessly laying out a defenseless Clifton Smith who was trying to catch a punt (check out video above). Football is a dangerous and violent sport with enough injuries taking place throughout the natural course of games. It's unacceptable for players to deliver cheap shots on top of this and further endanger players. You can bet that Wesley has something coming to him the next time these two teams meet.

Check in for more later this week everyone. I'm out.

No comments:

Post a Comment